Tuesday

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Yep, I know it's been close to three months since the last post. All I can say as an explanation is that I got a new job back in October and the hours are completely insane. The people are great though, and that's no small thing when you're expected to spend so much time in the office. Any way you slice it, there hasn't been enough time for music of any type, so it was nice to sit here and bang this one out over the course of the last hour or so.

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. Ok, so back when I was in the 8th grade (or so), I went camping with a couple of friends. Nothing major, my parents lived adjacent to an abandoned nursery, so it was pretty easy to walk our tents about 200 yards or so into the "woods" and camp amongst the overgrown designer shrubbery and trees of yesteryear. The holes where some of the trees that had been sold once stood served as nice fire pits too.

Anyway, 13/14 year old boys aren't so great at staying put for any length of time, so it wasn't long before we'd venture back into the neighborhood to see what was up. I'm not too proud to say it, but we did find some unlocked cars about the place and proceeded to rummage through - it was Jersey after all. We never took money, but music was another matter. This was one of the cassettes we nabbed (along with, I think, Alan Parsons Project - I Robot). This was always my favorite track on the record, even though I think there were some 'hits' on it.

We're lucky we never got our asses beat over taking those tapes, but I'm sure I got more out of that music in the long run than they ever would have. I mean, it's been 25 years and I'm still listening to it. Amazing how we can justify some of the things that we did in our youth, right?