Monday

The Weight

The Weight - Click Title To Play

Another 60s/70s group whose best years were slightly before my time. I grew up listening to The Band because my parents were fans, so it's really difficult for me to determine whether or not they received the massive radio play that they assuredly deserved. I'm almost certain that they did, though. I'm also not sure how much of a global presence they were or if they were more of a North American thing.

One thing is certain, within the recording industry they were certainly well appreciated. A quick look at the guest players for their 1978 farewell concert is star studded from top to bottom: Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Neil Diamond, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, and the list goes on. If you haven't seen the Martin Scorsese film capturing the event, you really should have a look. The Band were amazingly adept at providing backing to other artist's material (they got their start as Bob Dylan's backing band), and were all accomplished singers and players. I always thought that they shone the brightest on their own material though. It was always an awesome blend of blues, soul, rock and a little bit of Southern twang. I honestly forgot how much I loved these guys when I was younger.